Inspirational quotes

Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement.
Brian Tracy, Eat that Frog

The significance of a man is not in what he attains but in what he longs to attain.
Kahil Gibran

Friday, September 28, 2007

Rebooting


Can you re-boot your brain, or really, your taste buds? Dr. Oz says you can and Bob Greene says you can.


Here is what Bob actually had to say..

Each person has the power to adapt their taste to healthier foods, Bob says. "Your tastes adjust. We habituate and we do it both ways," he says. "If you start cutting out the sugars, cutting out the sodium, you will taste the natural flavors of the foods."


I'm a firm believer that you can really change your tastes. We have given up white rice, white pasta, white bread and as much high fructose corn syrup that we can. We started doing this about 5 years ago and it worked, or maybe whole wheat products have gone way tastier. But we have done it. I also was a non-tomatoe eater for many, many, many years. But now I love tomatoes. Maybe our taste buds change as we get older too.

If I only knew then (in my 20's) what I know now. But this is a process, a sometimes very slow process, but a forward moving process none the less.

I am thinking about trying and giving up my sweetner. I don't use sugar, mainly splenda, but that is like 700 times sweeter that sugar, so my taste buds have gotten used to it. I say thinking about it because I can't quite talk myself into it yet. I am on the verge, but not over the line yet.
So who know, that might be my next goal. I have actually done really well at giving up the diet sodas.

5 comments:

Twix said...

I am still struggling giving up the white pasta, rice, and bread. Simply because it is so inexpensive. I think it might be best to start making our own bread. It's fear of the unknown that has held me back from doing that. Silly,huh! It is super difficult to cut high furctose corn syrup out of your diet. We have done it. Yes still about 10 % of the stuff we buy has some of the hfcs in it. I have cut way back on soda. So I definitely congratulate you there on your progress. Giving up sweetners is hard. What about stevia or honey or my mom swears by coconut oil. Mercola has an excellent article about splenda that may just surprise you. I know it did me!

Chubby Chick said...

My taste preferences have changed in recent years, too. We only eat whole wheat products, and we do our best to skip artificial sweeteners. I just use regular sugar for baking... but cut way back on it. I've found that most recipes call for way too much sugar... and I've actually learned to prefer them with less. I use honey as a sweetener, too. I just don't feel right about using the artificial stuff. I don't think it's good for us, you know?

Anonymous said...

That is an interesting thought. It makes sense though... Some things are just too rich for me to eat now, maybe that is why!

Twix said...

Come by my place! I have something for you! :)

http://twixmonoxcide.blogspot.com/2007/09/award.html

Naturally Blessed said...

i believe this and wonder had i stuck with no sodium a bit longer i might have been able to completely break my addiction.

i had gotten to the point where i could taste 2 grains of salt sprinkled on a baked potatoe.

but i added it back in bc my food was making me so upset and sad.

(my last comment got lost in space....so it may pop up as well too....not sure.