Inspirational quotes

Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement.
Brian Tracy, Eat that Frog

The significance of a man is not in what he attains but in what he longs to attain.
Kahil Gibran

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Fact or Bullfact

I came across an article while doing a little searching on the web. Tell me which one of these is Dieting Fact or Bullfact. (clickover and highlight the area after the sentence to find the answer on this page or go to this link.)

1. You can't lose a lot of weight and keep it off. Bullfact

2. Your "set point" determines how much you weigh. Bullfact

3. Poor willpower is to blame for excess weight. Bullfact

4. The best weight loss regimens incorporate structured exercise three to five times a week.Bullfact

5. Losing just a small amount of weight has significant health benefits. Fact

6. You should eat only low-fat and no-fat foods. Bullfact


The search that started all this was the theory of "set point". The theory is this ~ "The set point theory was introduced by a group of researchers in 1982. The basic premise of the theory is that the body has a built in weight regulating mechanism, largely genetically determined, that will tend to keep your weight in a physiologically established comfortable range."

I don't necessary believe that your body has a predetermined weight and that it is always trying to get back there (of course the assumption here, is that your set weight is higher than what you would want it to be). But I do believe our bodies settle into a weight after some dieting and we need a jump start to get the weight loss going again. This might be due to the fact that we lose some weight and our metabolisms adjust to our new weight and calorie intake and output.
I have hit the point where I need a jump start (or kick in the pants). I have been lucky really that my weight hasn't jumped up, so I think my body likes hanging out at this weight, but I would like the scale to move south a little more. My blogging has helped me keep this in focus. I haven't done a great job lately, but when I read others changing their eating habits, joining weight watcher, walking thru the summer...they give me motivation to keep my own lifestyle changes in focus.

The end of this week and weekend I was not on plan. I was way off plan. We will see what the scale has to tell me on Wednesday, but I have some time until them to get back on track with my eating and walking. The weather is cooling off here (finally) so I want to get back to walking more.

1 comment:

Twix said...

Good Lord! Your chocolate breakfast from your last post sounds yummy,lol!

Exactly sometimes we need to mess things up for a bit and see what happens. :)